The posts below belong to a larger story entitled Autumn Drive, a story about growing up, losing loved ones, and people that take advantage of those unable to defend themselves.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Knowledge of the Past

My Aunt Sophie didn't like the fact that my Aunt Norcie 'ran away' and married Ernest Yeager.

My Mom told me the story. "Aunt Sophie blamed her for leaving the family, especially her father, who was sick most of his life," she talked as if filling me in on some long kept secret. "Plus Uncle Ernie isn't catholic, and that made it one-hundred times worse, Aunt Sophie was always strict like that."

"But didn't they love each other?" I asked.

A short silence preceded her next thought, "Yeah but sometimes...that's how people are."

I didn't understand, and logged it away to 'learn the family at some point in the future' part of my brain, the same part that holds....[elaborate]

My Mom later told me about another incident, one that finally explained to me why my Aunt Norcie and Uncle Ernie were closer with my grandparents than with most of the other people in the family, or at less explain the reason why they always stayed at their house when they came to town.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.