The posts below belong to a larger story entitled Autumn Drive, a story about growing up, losing loved ones, and people that take advantage of those unable to defend themselves.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

P.A.R.T. WHY? Because I gotta!

At ten years old I stood in my grandparent's bathroom contorting my face, "Can't make the scene if you don't have the green..."

I had just seen Jim Carrey in the movie The Mask. From that point on I spent a lot of my time attempting to imitate his mannerisms and facial gestures.

Aside from the voice, I was missing two key items: a yellow suit and a chameleon-green mask.

I approached my grandfather for answers.

"Pop Pop," I said. "Where do people go to buy suits?"

"At a men's shop," he answered, looking at me curiously. "Or at the mall."

That didn't help. Of all the times I've been to the mall, I've never seen the type of suit I needed: a mustard yellow overcoat, pants and fedora hat with an eagle feather, black and white dotted tie and suspenders, and a matching black and white pair of leather shoes. A men's shop didn't sound all that helpful either, I've never even heard of one let alone knew where one was.

My grandmother was my last hope.

"Grandma," I started. "Can you crochet me a mask, a green one?"

I could tell she didn't know what to say, "What for?"

"So I can have a mask when I act like Jim Carrey."

"Oh," she said hesitantly. "I'm not sure how to make a mask like that."

I explained to her that all I needed was a green mask with a hole for my eyes and mouth. She was skeptical at first, but I knew she would let me down. When she was done crocheting the mask later that day before my dad came to pick me up, I put it on for the first time and made my way to the mirror. It was perfect. The color was more of an aqua but I didn't care, the hole thing covered my face and neck down to my shoulders. The misshapen holes I looked and talked out of were itchy in spots but I quickly got used to it.

"Somebody stop me!" I said excitedly with a sly smile. "P.A.R.T. WHY? Because I gotta!"

I loved it. I carried the mask in my pocket everywhere, waiting for the right moment to whip I out, throw it on, and yell 'smokin' at the top of my lungs.

1 comment:

  1. Like the dialogue here, and the way it can progress the story. Nice interaction as well between not only the characters as such, but between generations.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.