The posts below belong to a larger story entitled Autumn Drive, a story about growing up, losing loved ones, and people that take advantage of those unable to defend themselves.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Start...100 Days

My brothers turned eleven in May. We had a small party with the same close family members that frequented such events: my grandparents and Aunt Steffie, Aunt Darlene and cousins Mitch and Garrett, my Aunt Nancie and a few others.

I arrived after school with my new girlfriend, Jessica Matejek.

"It's going to be weird meeting the rest of your family," she said as we pulled in.

"Don't worry," I said. "Your polish, my grandma and Aunt Steffie will love you."

"Shut up! I'm serious."

"You'll be fine," I said again, pointing to the deck on the other side of the backyard. "That's my Aunt Darlene with the big curly hair, you'll like her."

"And that must be your Aunt Nancie," she said, watching a straight-haired woman laughing hysterically with a glass of wine held up in one hand.

"Yep, she's cool," I replied. "I think you'll like her, she's fun. She reminds me of someone our own age."

She sighed.

When we walked in, my grandparents met her with friendly smiles, the same welcoming expressions they gave to anyone they met for the first time. My Aunt Steffie gave a professional stare and greeted her with a hello: business as usual. I got the feeling she wasn't keen on the idea that I had a girlfriend. Like any older relative trying to dictate a generation well past their own, she though I was too young to have a girlfriend. Reality was different. Jess was my first girlfriend, and she came late for mew. I had started dating her in December, half way through my senior year. All through junior high and high school I had to watch as my friends discovered the opposite sex, how sexy they were, how big their boobs were or how nice their ass was.

We walked onto the deck for the next wave of introductions.

"This is my girlfriend Jess," I started, and gave around the formal introductions.

My Aunt Nancie lit up. Her reddish blonde hair hung down above her face as she adjusted her white, skin-tight tank top. It became obvious to me in that moment, awkward as it was, that my godmother's boobs were fake, and her bra-less nipples were poking through the thin fabric.

"Hello!" she beamed. "It's nice to meet you."

Jess returned the comment and began answering questions from everyone: Are you going to go to college? Yes. What for? Nursing. How'd we meet? Civics class.

"You two are so hot together," she said as we settled into our spot on the deck among the 'younger' crowd. "So did you guys have sex yet?"

"Nancie!" my Aunt Darlene interjected. "That is so inappropriate. What are you thinking?"

I chuckled some sort of awkward response.

"What?" she said, still looking us over.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.