The posts below belong to a larger story entitled Autumn Drive, a story about growing up, losing loved ones, and people that take advantage of those unable to defend themselves.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Evening Phone Calls of the Past, Continued...

"Okay, thanks Pop Pop," I said, turning on the TV. "I'm putting it on now."

I had seen shows like this this before, explaining how the continents formed with words like tectonic plates, continental drift, and subduction zones. The entire concept drew me in: that it took millions, in fact billions of years for the earth, spinning and rotating silently around our sun, to be molded and formed into its current shape, like an artisan kneads, presses, and shapes his spinning clay into brilliant ceramic vases.

I watched the show, knowing Pop Pop was too. The earth was 4.54 billion years old. I knew the earth was that old, I heard that number before, but it's practicality? Billion? What did that even mean? [] That was before the earth had a moon, and the surface was still liquid hot from it's recent formation, churning and revolving around our newly formed sun. Slowly the planet cooled, the outer part first, the crust,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.