The posts below belong to a larger story entitled Autumn Drive, a story about growing up, losing loved ones, and people that take advantage of those unable to defend themselves.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Gone

Now that my grandparents are gone, existing only in what memories I happen to have of them, Autumn Drive just another average house in a middle class neighborhood on the west side of some forgettable Connecticut suburb, I'm forced to think back. Was there something special about it? All the summer days, all the time I spent there? What was it all worth it, my time with Primo and Josephine Pauletti?

Even when I was young, I thought about the day I would no longer have grandparents. Knowing that someday, far in the clouded future, that it was inevitable. I looked upon it with only a light stress, knowing it would be a salient mark to the end of a chapter of my life. Now that the page has turned, the chapter over, I don't feel any different than I did before they were gone. I wasn't swept up, transformed by some monumental internal change. If anything occurred within me, it happened with the subtlety of a ball of snow rolling down a mountain with the potential to start an avalanche.

And still I feel nothing significant. The only difference is realizing Pop Pop and Grandma are not there, not at Autumn drive, not anywhere. I'm reminded every time I watch the Discovery Channel or see games of bingo and I, for a split second, want to make a call or pay a visit. But there would be nowhere for that call to go, no one in the house to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.