The posts below belong to a larger story entitled Autumn Drive, a story about growing up, losing loved ones, and people that take advantage of those unable to defend themselves.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Quarters

One day, as I sifted through the change in the cup holder of my mom's Chevy Lumina, I came across a weird looking quarter. Washington's side profile still resembled all the other quarters I had ever seen, only it was a bit different. Maybe a newer model? It did say 1999. I turned it over and saw, not the eagle, but the outline of the state of Delaware. It was a Delaware state quarter. Unbelievable.

"Grandma!" I cried when we arrived, lifting the quarter under up to her face with my hand. "Look."

She tilted her head back, peering down the lower part of her bifocals. We went to the dinning room table to inspect it under the brighter lights.

"Wow," she said, flipping it from one side to the other. "That's neat."

By the end of the year, we had a bunch: Pennsyvania, New Jersey, Georgia, and Connecticut. Grandma and Aunt Steffie bought me a booklet to house each state quarter, all the way until the year 2008! The outside of it was green, and opened up to a map of the United States, with little one inch circle cut-outs that the quarters fit perfectly into.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.